What does a dream day look like to me? It goes a little something like this: I wake up around 9-9:30Am, I have a cup of coffee and some breakfast delivered to me in bed, and then i do nothing ALL day. I would catch up on many shows that I’ve neglected like “This is Us”and “Being Mary Jane”. And I would take a couple naps in between my Tv sessions. I would eat popcorn and ice cream and never change from my PJs. Just the thought of it, makes me feel so relaxed.
As a working mom, it can be very difficult to find time to just relax and de-stress from all the craziness of your day from the drop-offs, pick-ups, homework, cleaning, conference calls, etc. It is very important for your overall health to ensure you do take some time to do just…. nothing. Research shows that most people are more productive in their overall life, when they regularly take some time to decompress and relax. Here are some of the things you can do to relax:
- Establish a bed time for children. There are many nights that I don’t get Zoie and Zack into bed until almost 10PM. Those are the most stressful nights for me. By the time they are sleeping, I am exhausted and have no time to do anything for myself or the house. I am working on having them in bed by 8:30 which gives me time to prepare for the next day and have an hour or so to chill.
- Plan a pampering evening. Take some time to do a facial mask, curl your hair, and give yourself a mani/pedi after a nice hot shower or bath. Put on a robe, play some soft music, and light some candle to set the mood.
- Binge-watch TV. This is one of my favorites because I don’t get a lot of time to watch TV. I very rarely get to watch any TV during the week. Therefore, it is very relaxing to be able to Netflix and chill and catch up on all of my television shows.
- Read. Now this is one thing that I do not do often enough. But it is even said that reading before bed helps you to have a better sleep than watching Tv or scrolling through your IG feed. I plan to pick up some new books this week to start reading more before going to sleep at night.
- Let go of technology. Technology causes you to think and stimulate your minds in some way. Instead of using phones and televisions, use that time to color, write, or play board games. You will be surprised of how relaxed your mind and body will be after the time away.
- SLEEP. This has to be my all-time favorite. Anyone who knows me, knows how much I love a good sleep. A lot of people underestimate the importance of getting enough sleep. If I don’t get at least 6 hours of sleep per night, I am an absolute mess the next day. So anytime I have free time, I make sure to catch up on my z’s. I’m sure my body will thank me for it later.
What do you like to do to relax?